Friday, August 26, 2016

Random and mixed thoughts in thin air (first flight to Miami)

Hello again! :) 

We are flying at the moment over Island, the legendary football country ;) well, at least their team had a great spirit and they had the best fans in the European Championship games in 2016 and they are probably remembered better than the champions from the games. To be more serious and cut the crap, Island is one of the countries on our list where to visit. They have geysers, natural mineral hot springs and a rough but beautiful nature not to forget the many active volcanoes. Beside this, they have also very good beer in Island that I was a bit surprised about, and you can’t blame me…Island is not that famous of its beer ;) These were just fun facts to know.

We have had it quite hectic since our wedding 30.7. with returning and cleaning everything after the wedding, and the missing tenant gave us also some extra grey hairs but luckily we got a nice family until middle of January last Saturday. Hopefully we find a new tenant from January until end of May because if not it eats our travel money and we would have to sleep under banana leafs with all the bugs, or that is what Edda is saying. I don’t mind that much where we sleep… About sleeping, Edda is sleeping now and I get to express my thoughts without anyone disturbing my artistic flow ;D  


I have problems to sleep on planes but let’s see if I get some sleep later or then I just watch some movie, and fall asleep.

So, we started our trip at Helsinki-Vantaa Airport today and our first destination is Miami for 22 hours and then Costa Rica. We had really busy last few days with all the moving of our stuff to my lovely grandma’s home. We didn’t realize that it would take many days to empty our home from just our personal stuff because we left all the furniture and kitchen stuff there to the tenants. I had also some small issues with my luggage… I got my new Core GTS4 9 m2 kite in less than a week and I have also a “new” RRD’s fifty-fifty split board. My Orblieb 140l bag is big enough for all my kiteboarding stuff but the problem is the weight. I could basically take with me around 8kg of stuff for our 9 months trip :D Edda again had around 12kg but the space in her Ospray Xena 70 back pack run out. We managed finally to pack our stuff so that we could take all the stuff we need for our trip. We have quite much of new stuff with us such as our cameras Sony RX10 and Panasonic TZ80 and we might tell about how well they work during our trip and put some pics as well. My new Sony Xperia Z5 that should be waterproof, well, let’s see how long it lasts ;) The latest purchase was my Lenovo Yoga3 11” laptop. I write also experiences from it and if we stop writing it can be that we have been robbed or Lenovo is exercising too much of yoga :D That was the joke of the week and more jokes will come but it requires that Edda is asleep to avoid heavy censoring. At the airport our families came to say goodbye to us with few tears in their eyes but we had also some good laughs. 

We got some nice cards and letters that we were allowed to read not before sitting in the plane. After our families left we headed to the baggage drop. It took ages when the nice ladys at the desk had their chat breaks and when the new ladys came, they had all their moves like in a slomo video…noooooooow IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII puuuuuuuuuuuuut myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaggggggg oooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnn ttttthhhhhheeeeeeeeeeee ddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssskkkkkkkkkkkk, ttttttaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeee mmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy wwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaatttttttteeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr (now fast forward) bottle out, take a sip, put it away, take slowly up eyeglasses, look at them for a while before putting them on and then still waiting before starting to work. It took some nerves to look at their fast working but didn’t want to express my astonishment because I was afraid I had few kilos too much in my bag and I am nice and just wait, the nice lady might let my bag continue without extra fees. So this was the tip of the week at airports, be extra nice at check-in if you have extra kilos. 

When we finally manged to drop off our luggage we had just enough time to buy some chocolate, nuts and a sandwiches before boarding. We had already our dinner in the sky with some sparkling wine. Edda’s work has included flying quite often and she has in her Finnair Plus profile that she is vegetarian. That information had not reached the company and we did not check it in advance, but luckily the crew was helpful and managed to find Edda a really nice meal. Nice work! :)  A few things about Lenovo Yoga3: during our dinner when we watched a 90min animation movie from my computer it used about 35% of the battery with no problems watching it and it took only 1 hour to recharge it back to 100%. I have had some problems with importing photos from my GoPro 4 and Sony Z5 but it can be some usage problems as well because I have used Mac for the last 10 years.

Now we have only a bit under 6 hours left from our 11-hour flight. Luckily we sit next to each other on the side so it is only the two of us, but a guy in front of us was unlucky with his neighbor. His neighbor is around 55-year-old man who smells pretty much like old alcohol and cigarettes and almost falls in the poor guy’ lap in his sleep. This man probably didn’t feel like home here on the plane, so he thought a bit of beer on the floor will fix the problem… I have heard that sparkling wine and also beer is good for the hair, but I wonder if it works for the skin as well. My wet socks are asking about it. There’s still enough hours so they dry before we land to Miami.

A few words about Miami. When we got to know that we stay there for one night, we started to look for places to stay and after looking at hostels with a price tag around 100$ a night Edda found a 3* hotel for around 60$. Let’s see what kind of hotel it is. Now some movies, Fazer chocolate and some nuts before my stories get too boring ;) See you!

One more thing. When we had the second meal at the plane, it looked like Edda would be without food, but the crew surprised nicely with few fruit salads, yoghurt, a cheese sandwich and an apple. We had really friendly, helpful and happy crew on our flight with Finnair. Soon in Miami! Peace and out!

First drinks at our hotel in Miami

2 comments:

  1. So great to hear that you've had a good start to your trip! And you're a great writer Markus! :D Enjoy and keep us posted! ♡ Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Angelika! :D Will keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment or ask but do it in a nice way. :)